Are you tired of watching birds from a distance? Are binoculars just not satisfying your bird-watching needs? Well, maybe you need a window bird feeder.
A window bird feeder lets you stay indoors and at the same time allows you to watch your favorite birds up close. It makes the experience a lot more personal, giving you the chance to admire your winged friends without disturbing their lunchtime.
There are tons of window bird feeders on the market, most of which use strong suction cups to stay attached to your window.
The question is: if you want to buy a window bird feeder, how do you choose? What makes one feeder better than another? What are the best feeders on the market?
The answers to all your questions are coming right up. We’ve included the top 10 window bird feeders on the market, along with a few great tips on how to choose the right one for you.
Top 10 Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeders
|1||Natures Hangout Window Bird Feeder||11.8 x 5 x 4||1||4 cups|
|2||Nature Window Bird Feeder by Anywhere||7.9 x 4.3 x 7.5||1.3||–|
|3||Nature Gear Window Bird Feeder||4 x 5 x 12||1.3||>1 pound|
|4||Nature Gear Upgraded Window Bird Feeder
|7.9 x 4 x 7.5||1.2||–|
|5||Aspects 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder
|6 x 8.5 x 2.2||0.55||8 ounces|
|6||Perky-Pet Window Mount Hummingbird Feeder||8.6 x 6.9 x 5.4||0.91||8 ounces|
|7||GrayBunny GB-6851 Deluxe Clear Window Bird Feeder||12 x 3.1 x 5||1.32||4 cups|
|8||Wild Birds of Joy Window Bird Feeder||13.5 x 6.8 x 5.8||1.41||3 cups|
|9||Perky-Pet Birdscapes Clear Window Feeder||5.6 x 6.9 x 7.8||0.55||1 cup|
|10||5.9 x 5.1 x 3.9||0.63||11.5 ounces|
First up is the Natures Hangout Window Bird Feeder. This unique window bird feeder is one of the best models you can find on the market.
- High-quality design
- Transparent, high-quality acrylic
- Removable tray
- Suction cups for attaching to windows
- Large seed container
- Mold-free drainage holes
- Holds 4 cups of bird seeds
- Padded-grip perch for birds to rest on
- Includes a top birdhouse cover to protect birds from rain and snow
- Can be cleaned easily
- Completely clear and transparent, which makes viewing much easier
- Powerful suction cups
- Attracts all kinds of birds
- Seed container is quite large
- Raccoons can destroy the feeder
Second on our list is this impressive feeder by Nature Anywhere. This company makes some of the bird feeders you’ll ever come across. And this model is no exception.
- Perfect for orioles, hummers, warblers, and finches
- Classic tiny-glass house design
- Sliding seed tray for easy cleaning and refills
- Squirrel-proof (as long as you place it 10 feet above the ground, since squirrels can’t climb glass windows)
- Free VIP customer service
- 4 heavy-duty suctions cups
- Lifetime guarantee
- 2 compartments which allow you to use different seeds at the same time
- Easy to clean (all you need to do is slide the tray)
- Doesn’t need any kind of assembly
- Protects food from rain and snow which means the food won’t rot
- Elegant glass design
- Transparent glass is perfect for watching the birds
- A bit more expensive than your average bird feeder
- Doves and medium-size birds might not fit comfortably
This is a great model to have outside your living room, kitchen, den, or family room. Its beautiful design and impressive functionality make it one of the best choices on our list.
- Open back facing the windows
- All-weather design protects your seeds from the elements and from rotting
- Large space for perching
- Can accommodate a few cardinals and blue jays
- High quality and excellent durability
- Feed tray drain holes
- Extended roof
- Dual seed compartment
- Great view thanks to its open back
- Large tray (can take more than 1 pound of seeds)
- Easy to clean
- Remains crystal clear since water can’t condensate between the feeder and the window glass
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Not exactly squirrel-proof because the open sides make the seeds accessible
The Nature Gear Upgraded Window Bird Feeder is one of the most convenient bird feeders on this list. It saves you the trouble of having to go out in extreme hot or cold weather just to refill your feeder.
- Inside-window bird feeder
- Sliding feed tray
- Large size
- Crystal clear
- Weatherproof design
- Squirrel-resistant thanks to its glass-covered sides
- Drains rainwater to make sure your seeds remain dry and fresh
- Safe for all birds
- Durable and functional
- Price is great
- Premium-quality design
- Easy refills thanks to its removable feed tray
- Can be installed within seconds without any hassle
- Easy to clean
- Sloped roofs make it hard for birds to perch on top
- The big tray attracts both big and small birds, which means the former might bully the latter.
If you want a feeder that doesn’t take up much space and at the same time attracts beautiful hummers, the Aspects 406 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder is a great choice to consider.
- Attracts beautiful hummingbirds right to your window
- Can be used with or without an ant moat
- Three feeding ports
- 8-oz nectar capacity
- Sturdy polycarbonate construction
- A suction-cup mounted bracket
- Comfortable HighView Perch
- Non-obstructive design (allows birds to perch comfortably without obstructing your view)
- Reasonably priced
- The raised flower design diverts rain away from the nectar
- Drip and leak-proof
- Comes with a detachable ant moat which keeps your nectar safe
- You’ll need to remove the entire feeder when cleaning or refilling it
Does your window have a great view? Are you worried about a window bird feeder blocking that beautiful landscape? If so, this model from Perky-Pet might be the perfect choice for you.
- 10-inch vertical window feeder
- Saves a lot of space
- Shatterproof plastic body
- 1-way mirror effect
- The red bottom along with the sweet nectar attract the hummingbirds
- 2 east feeding flowers
- 2 perches
- Quick-release nectar drips
- Attaches to windows quite easily
- Wide mouth makes it easy to clean
- No-drip bottom
- Feeding ports are too few
- Nectar may block the view of the birds when it’s full
Are you on a tight budget? Afraid you won’t be able to find a decent bird feeder within your price range? Well, not to worry. An affordable price doesn’t always mean the product is unreliable. At least, not with this model from GrayBunny.
- Large, extra-deep tray
- Extra-thick, crystal clear acrylic
- Lightweight build
- Strong suction cups
- Removable tray with dividers
- Accommodates several species
- 4-cup seed capacity
- Drain holes for keeping seeds fresh and dry
- Easy to install
- Strong suction cups keep it in place for a long time
- Extra-thick acrylic
- Durable and sturdy, yet lightweight
- Great seed capacity (4 cups)
- Keeps seeds fresh and dry
- Great price
- Attracts different species of birds
- Not exactly squirrel-proof because the open, curved-side design can let them in
Some of the people who’ve tried this window bird feeder call it “the best window feeder”. This comes as no surprise, considering how functional it is. Birds simply adore it.
- 4 suction cups keep the feeder securely in place
- Shatterproof acrylic is effective at keeping squirrels out, especially if you hang it 5-8 feet off the ground
- 3-cup seed capacity
- Accommodates a wide variety of birds
- Removable tray
- Easily attached to windows
- 4 extra-strong suction cups
- Great seed capacity (3 cups)
- Large enough to house different birds at the same time
- Removable tray makes it easy to clean
- The roof keeps the seeds dry
- Side opening might let squirrels in
Looking for a window bird feeder that combines both traditional and modern looks? Then look no further. Perky-Pet Birdscapes Clear Window Feeder is a perfect choice to consider.
- Crystal clear design
- 1-cup seed capacity
- Small build, which means it can only accommodate small and colorful birds
- The roof protects your seeds and acts as a perch for the birds
- Traditional design attracts birds
- Squirrel-proof because this tiny bird feeder can’t hold the weight of squirrels
- Shatterproof plastic roof
- Easy to install and set up
- Holds about 1 cup of seeds
- Easy refill
- Very affordable
- Beautiful design (combines both traditional and modern looks)
- You’ll need to remove the entire feeder in order to clean it
Last, not least, is the Red Earth Naturals Window Bird Feeders. This impressive window bird feeder is small, but don’t be fooled by its appearance. It’s extremely effective and functional.
- Suction cups
- Transparent design
- Attracts all kinds of colorful birds like cardinals, finches, robins, and bluebirds
- Removable tray
- 2 perches for birds to wait on while others feed
- Glass build
- Easy to clean
- Secure attachment
- Easy refill
- Satisfaction guaranteed
- Free ebook included
- Doesn’t accommodates large birds
Things to Consider Before Buying a Window Bird Feeder
Type of birds
When choosing a window bird feeder, you need to think about the type of birds you hope to attract. This will help you decide what size bird feeder you should get.
For example, if you want to attract hummingbirds, you should go for a smaller bird feeder. Smaller models make sure that only hummingbirds and other tiny creatures can get to the feed. That means they’ll be safe from larger bullies.
On the other hand, if you plan to attract cardinals, you might want to go for a larger window bird feeder.
Once you know what kind of bird you want to host, you need to think about the amount of food you want to put out. It depends on the species you’re dealing with.
For example, with blue jays, you’ll a large seed capacity, somewhere around 3-4 cups. Finches, on the other hand, might settle for a cup or two.
The amount of seeds your feeder can hold is just as important as the type of birds it tends to attract.
Keep this very important rule in mind: expensive doesn’t always mean better. There are tons of cheap models on the market-and on this very list-that work quite exceptionally.
The important thing is for birds to love the feeder and that has nothing to do with the price, so stay within your budget.
One of the most important things a window bird feeder should have is a weatherproof build. The feeder is going to be subjected to all kinds of environmental changes, which means it has to handle heat and coldness.
Not only is this important for the birds’ protection, but it’s also important for keeping the seeds fresh, dry, and safe from rotting. A window bird feeder with a roof is also a great idea if you want to protect your seeds from the rain.
Our Final Verdict
We all love watching our favorite birds dine happily in our backyards. But why watch from a distance when you can get up close and personal? A good window bird feeder can help you with that.
You just need to choose the right one. If you’re having difficulty choosing, why not pick a feeder from this list? These 10 are some of the best models you can find on the market.
Choose a window bird feeder today and watch your feathered friends dine happily at your windowsill.